There’s still time to sign up for children’s summer enrichment classes — ranging from performing arts to science, fine arts to cooking — offered by the Davis Adult and Continuing Education School. The deadline for enrollment is May 15.
Three sessions are planned: June 16-26, July 7-17 and July 21-24. Classes will meet at North Davis Elementary School, 555 E. 14th St., and Davis High School, 315 W. 14th St.
“We are excited to be offering a third year of K-12 summer enrichment camp to help students avoid summer ‘brain drain’ and learn new skills,” said Grace Sauser, principal of the Davis Adult and Continuing Education School.
“We are offering a rich array of classes this year, including performing arts, science, technology, practical and fine arts, cooking and more. In order to provide a more camp-like experience, classes are organized into two two-week-long sessions and a third one-week mini-camp. We are also partnering with Davis Kids Club to provide before- and after-camp child care for parents looking for a full-day option.”
Sauser said she is especially excited about the addition of the Lincoln Electric welding camps for students in grades 8-10 using state-of-the-art welding equipment provided through a grant from Lincoln Electric.
“And for our older students getting ready to head out on their own for the first time, we have added a ‘Money Management 101 for Grads’ class that will help them learn to manage a budget and avoid many of the common financial pitfalls that young people face.”
Also planned are an intermediate Spanish camp for students coming from Spanish Immersion programs who need to keep their language skills up over the summer, Sauser said.
Other classes include:
* “Time to Sing,” an introduction to singing in a fun and relaxed environment. Students will learn basic music concepts and healthy vocal production through music games, unison songs, rounds and partner songs. Students will learn to sing songs from a variety of genres, including folk, Disney, musical theater and classical.
* “Into the Wild!” for grades K-6, including nature play, animal communication, bird watching, animal locomotion and natural art
* “Baking Basics” and “Bake It Up,” which are hands-on cooking classes
* “Learn to Paint with Acrylics” and “Learn to Draw Anything,” for students in grades 8-12
* “Scrapture: Sculpture Created from Recycled Objects” and “Batiking Against Bullying”
* “Comic Book 101,” “Manga!” and “Origami”
* Language classes in Spanish, Japanese and Arabic
* “For the Love of Math,” a glimpse of higher math for students in grades 10-12
* “Forensic Science Adventures” and “Learn a New Language: Computer!”
* Theater classes titled “Play! Write!” and “Center Stage!”
Tuition fees vary depending on the length of the course and the materials involved.
Course descriptions and dates (as well as registration information) are online at the school website at http://dace.djusd.net or call 530-757-5380.
— Reach Jeff Hudson at email@example.com or 530-747-8055.