The Sunrise Rotary Club of Davis recently honored seven Davis and Da Vinci high school students as Students of the Month for September. They are:
* Evan Anderson, nominated by Kevin Anderson, information technology/career tech teacher, who wrote, “Evan is one of the advanced students in the Internetworking II class. He took the first Internetworking (Cisco Systems) class last year at Davis High, as well as the ROP Programming class.
“Evan has put a tremendous amount of effort into achieving information technology skills as evidenced by the scholarship he received to attend a summer IT program at Carnegie Mellon University. He assumes a leadership role in the classroom, and readily helps both beginning and advanced students learn course concepts. His positive outlook on learning motivates others around him.”
* Patrick Bronzan, nominated by science teacher Linda Husmann, who wrote, “This is the third year that I have had Patrick in class. Two years ago he was in my biology class, and he struggled some. Last year he was in my anatomy and physiology class; he worked hard and did fine. This year he is my teacher’s assistant for first period.
“Patrick impresses me with his consistently positive attitude. He is on time, every day, enters with a smile, asks what he can do — and then, whatever work I give him, he does it. He washes dishes, puts things away, sets things up, grades papers, records scores … and if I have nothing ready for him to do, he finds his own work. … Patrick is personable and polite, a hard worker with a great attitude.”
* Angela Fleming, nominated by special education teacher Steve Smyte, who wrote, “Angela is friendly, helpful and is always smiling when she comes in to our first-period class, which, since class starts at 7:45 a.m., is quite an accomplishment! Angela has been extremely thorough on the assignments she has done and takes great care and pride in what she produces. She is a delight to have in class and is a welcomed addition to the DSHS school community.”
* Caitlin Mazzoleni, nominated by world language teacher James Curley, who wrote, “During the first week, Caitlin demonstrated excellent citizenship in working with one of our ninth-grade students. She could have chosen any partner, but decided to make the extra effort to assist one of our newest Blue Devils. In doing this, their partnership was not only successful in the assignment, but she succeeded in welcoming and supporting our future students. Thank you for your leadership and maturity, Caitlin!”
* Andres Olmedo, nominated by Da Vinci campus safety coordinator Mike Barron, who wrote, “Andres is an extraordinary young man. I have seen many examples of his talent and have long been impressed by his diligence and work ethic. Andres is an intelligent, capable, dedicated and personable young man. I know how difficult it can be to manage your grades, extracurricular activities, TA duties and also take responsibility of being a student-athlete. (Andres) is what Da Vinci is all about.”
* Ivan Timofeyev, nominated by English teacher Sarah O’Keefe, who wrote, “Ivan was enrolled last year in an American literature college preparation course. In wanting to expand his experience with literature as well as to improve his writing, Ivan enrolled in the AP English literature and composition course this school year. I commend his desire to learn. In addition, I applaud the courage he has displayed in moving from a college preparation course to an Advanced Placement course knowing that he would be challenged in a way that he has not been challenged before in an English course. Congratulations, Ivan, in demonstrating such a strong desire to grow as a reader and writer.”
There are three Rotary clubs in Davis, which meet at noon Mondays, 5:30 p.m. Wednesdays and 7 a.m. Fridays. Members provide service to their community and internationally. For more information about Rotary, contact Dennis Lindsay of the Sunrise club at firstname.lastname@example.org, Samer Alassaad of the noon club at email@example.com or Steve Boschken of the Sunset club at firstname.lastname@example.org.