By Erin Allday
OAKLAND — Jesse Cheng, a senior at UC Irvine who was accused earlier this year of sexually assaulting a former girlfriend, announced Monday that he is leaving his position as the student representative on the University of California’s Board of Regents.
Cheng had served as student regent for two years and his last meeting was to take place later this month. Alfredo Mireles Jr., a graduate student at UC San Francisco who is the next student regent, will replace Cheng at the May regents meeting.
The accusations against Cheng stemmed from an incident in October. Cheng was arrested but not charged in the alleged assault. In March, a campus student conduct investigation determined that Cheng touched the former girlfriend without her consent.
Cheng continues to deny the accusations, but in a blog post announcing his resignation, he said the case had become too much of a distraction from his job as student regent.
“In the end, my reason was not so much the student conduct decision. That’s not why I resigned,” Cheng said in an interview on Monday. “But it’s taken a lot of time and energy away from the real issues.”