Eight free weekend open houses are planned during the 2013-14 academic year at the Bohart Museum of Entomology at UC Davis. Themes include “Live from the Bohart!” “Beauty and Beetles,” “Snuggle Bugs” and “Arachnids: Awesome or Awful?”
Each open house will run from 1 to 4 p.m. in Room 1124 of the Academic Surge building on Crocker Lane, with two exceptions. The open house on Saturday, Feb. 8, during UCD’s Biodiversity Day will be from noon to 4 p.m. and the museum will be open from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Picnic Day, Saturday, April 12.
The first open house is from 1 to 4 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 21, when the theme is “Live from the Bohart!” It will feature how to rear white cabbage butterflies and other insects. The remaining schedule is:
* Saturday, Nov. 23, “Beauty and Beetles,” 1-4 p.m.;
* Sunday, Jan. 12, “Snuggle Bugs,” 1-4 p.m.;
* Saturday, Feb. 8, “Biodiversity Museum Day,” noon-4 p.m. This event will be held in conjunction with the Museum of Wildlife and Fish Biology, Herbarium, Botanical Conservatory, Anthropology Collection and Geology and will take place at each of those locations. All open houses are free;
* Sunday, March 2, “Garden Heroes!,” 1-4 p.m.;
* Saturday, April 12, “UC Davis Picnic Day: 100 Years,” 10 a.m.-3 p.m.;
* Sunday, May 4, “Moth-er’s Day,” 1-4 p.m.; and
* Saturday, July 26, “Arachnids: Awesome or Awful?,” 1-4 p.m.
The Bohart Museum, directed by Lynn Kimsey, professor of entomology at UC Davis, houses a global collection of nearly 8 million insect specimens and is the seventh largest insect collection in North America. It is also the home of the California Insect Survey, a storehouse of the insect biodiversity. Noted entomologist Richard M. Bohart (1913-2007) founded the museum in 1946.
The museum includes a gift shop, stocked with T-shirts, posters, insect nets, books, and other items, that also can be purchased online. Another attraction is the live “petting zoo,” complete with Madagascar hissing cockroaches and walking sticks. Visitors enjoy holding and photographing them.
The museum’s regular public hours are from 9 a.m. to noon and 1 to 5 p.m., Mondays through Thursdays. Group tours may be arranged with Tabatha Yang at [email protected] or 530-752-0493. The museum is closed to the public on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays and UCD holidays.