Family-run Davis Ace has been serving the community for three generations.
First known as Davis Lumber Company, the store opened on Oct. 1, 1907, and incorporated on Feb. 24, 1922. Gordon Anderson ran the A.G. Anderson Hardware store at 207 G St. until 1937.
When Gordon died that year, the Anderson family took existing stock from its own hardware store, and exchanged its business for common stock in the Davis Lumber Company.
Edwin McBride was the manager of Davis Lumber from 1922 to 1952 but when Donald Anderson returned to Davis, he was the manager for 10 years. On June 22, 1962, Donald, Dora and Essie Anderson purchased the Davis Lumber Company and changed the name to Davis Lumber & Hardware, Co.
In 1999, the store changed its name to Davis Ace, naming its buildings near Third and G streets Ace Housewares, Ace Hardware, Ace Garden & Pet and Ace Rock Yard. Jennifer Anderson, daughter of Dora and Don Anderson, is the president. Doby Fleeman, Jennifer’s husband, and their children, Alina and Andrew, also work in the company.
The entire team of Davis Ace enjoys finding new products and ways to accommodate the needs of the changing Davis community.
Opening soon is the Aggie Ace store at 606 Covell Blvd. in the Anderson Plaza shopping center. This new store is the latest development by Ace Hardware and will provide a traditional neighborhood hardware store in a small express store space.
“Davis Ace would like to thank the community for its patronage through its history, and hopes to continue serving the community’s home improvement needs into the future,” a company statement said.