The historic Woodland Train Depot is 100 years old this year. Built in 1911 by the Southern Pacific Railroad, it was the third of four train depots that were built in Woodland. It is the only original one still remaining and is located at the corner of Lincoln Avenue and Sixth Street.
This landmark building has witnessed many historical events and has had many famous and not-so-famous people walk through its waiting room doors to board trains heading north and south.
It has seen good times when its outside arcade was full of people waiting to catch a train or meet someone arriving on one. It also saw years of decline and decay as travel by train to Woodland declined then stopped altogether.
For a time it served as a Greyhound bus depot, all the while becoming more run-down. Finally, all railroad activities were moved out of it in 1989, and it was set for demolition. Only a concerted effort by a coalition of historical preservation groups, the city of Woodland, and many individuals and businesses saved this last of its kind building from being destroyed.
Now, it is nearly restored to its original grandeur and is once again a community gathering place.
The Sacramento Valley Historical Railways, an all-volunteer nonprofit organization based in Woodland, purchased the depot in 1991 from the Southern Pacific Railroad and moved it to its present location in 1992. Since then, volunteers have spent thousands of hours restoring it for use as a community resource and railroad museum.
The Sacramento Valley Historical Railways also recently received a generous redevelopment grant from the city of Woodland and is raising funds to expand and improve the depot yard.
If you would like to help with the restoration of the historic Woodland train depot, or would like to make a donation, visit www.SVHR.org or contact Mike Adams at SacValRR@gmailcom.