Friday, April 18, 2014
YOLO COUNTY NEWS
99 CENTS

New Davis Baseball Academy reaches first base

BruceGallaudetW

By
From page B1 | November 08, 2013 | 39 Comments

Kevin Keefer knows a thing or two about baseball.

The assistant Cosumnes River College coach has been a longtime contributor to the Davis diamond scene.

Keefer is a lifelong local man who played at Davis High (Class of 1979), went on to excel at Cal Poly and has spent a lion’s share of his “down” time helping area kids become better ball players.

His son Cody is a former Blue Devil who is now a minor-league pro after a standout career at UCLA.

The senior Keefer coaches two teams offshore of Little League, provides hitting instruction and will talk baseball with whomever he encounters.

But Keefer has noticed something is missing around here.

“This town has had what people call ‘daddyball,’ ” Keefer told me the other day, alluding to the many travel-ball teams in the county, his included (he coaches two). “There is no structure, however. There are few resources to hire proven coaches, so dads coach their kids.

“If you look at the other communities: Chico Aces has 11 teams. Hard 90 and Golden Spikes (both El Dorado), Best Speed of South Sacramento all have organizations. Elk Grove has two working with the kids,” Keefer explains. “Each is run by baseball people, getting quality coaching. You could really see the difference in teams (baseball schools vs. the so-called daddyballers).”

That said, Keefer made this announcement …

“The Davis Baseball Academy has been formed. We’ll start this spring … our home field will be at the southwest corner of Harper Junior High and we will work it so we encourage our players to pursue Davis Little League while getting top-notch coaching at various levels,” the 52-year-old mentor said.

Milwaukee Brewers scout Justin McCray — a Davis man who has three baseball-playing offspring — has joined the academy and Keefer has hired a couple of his CRC players as coaches.

Keefer adds that he has his eye on a couple of former DHS players who are public-school instructors in the region.

“The academy will have coaching that our kids aren’t getting other places,” Keefer continued.

He said the academy will be open to players with elevated skills and to players who are just getting their feet wet in baseball. There will be teams of varying abilities, but the most competitive of the Davis Baseball Academy squads will see regular tournament action.

He expects to field multiple teams, accommodating players ages 10 through high school.

McCray, who played in three MLB systems, says he wants to see Little League keep its numbers. Joining the DBA would allow participation in both.

McCray and Keefer joined forces last month at the JC Showcase, conducted at American River College.

The Brewers scout was looking for talent, Keefer was shepherding his players. The two started talking …

“What I’ve taken away from it is Davis is a little bit behind when it comes to developing players,” McCray, also a Cal Poly grad, explained. “This will be taking it to the next level in terms of instruction (and competition).”

And without getting in the way of traditional Little League and the family atmosphere that is so cool at the Davis Little League Complex on F Street.

Keefer thanked Davis schools facilities chief Mike Adell for working with him to establish a site.

According to Keefer, a written memorandum of understanding between the schools and academy is the next step — then it’s off to the races to get the field in shape for opening day.

Keefer and his volunteers — of whom he says he has many, but could always use more — will grade the Harper field, get seating installed, find a storage shed and turn the place into a miniature field of … well, you get the idea.

“We’ll get it done by spring. … Several teams will be using it,” Keefer promised.

The program will have a website up next week (www.davisebaseballacademy.com) and if people want more information immediately, Keefer welcomes them to call him at 916-717-1914.

“They’ll be getting coaching in which they’ll learn the right techniques and know what to do when they reach high school,” Keefer said, adding: “And we’ll also have an emphasis on education. We want these guys to be good students.

“The better your grades are, the longer you play. We want them to go on to college.”

While I Have You Here: Among those joining McCray and Keefer on the DBA board are Cosumnes coach/Davis resident Tony Bloomfield and DHS coach Dan Ariola.

Keefer says the cost of kids being involved with the DBA has not been set in stone, “but we know it will be much less expensive than those other schools.”

The academy will build in scholarships for kids who can’t afford to get involved.

Fundraisers, in-kind contributions to construct field amenities plus good, old-fashioned donations are on the horizon.

“We’re thinking of ways to let everyone participate,” concludes Keefer. “We want to keep the player costs down.”

And the skill levels up.

— Reach Bruce Gallaudet at bgallaudet@davisenterprise.net or 530-747-8047.

Bruce Gallaudet

Discussion | 39 comments

The Davis Enterprise does not necessarily condone the comments here, nor does it review every post. Read our full policy

• Charles HigginsNovember 08, 2013 - 8:29 am

I fear this program will perpetuate the politics that play into baseball in this town and others. Those who go through the academy are likely to make connections and secure roster spots at the high school level regardless of talent. On the other hand, those constrained by limited financial resources will be unable to participate and viewed as "outsiders". Money and who you know go a long way when trying to secure a starting position at DHS. Having played for Kevin Keefer, he was a terrible coach. In fact, the worst coach I ever played for. Save your money people!

• "outsider"November 09, 2013 - 1:55 pm

Yes Charles in some towns writing a check can earn you playing time but this is not the case at DHS. Speaking as a former player who grew up under the poverty line and started for Kevin during freshmen baseball and 2 years for Dan at the varsity level I never felt like I was at a disadvantage for playing time. My parents could not afford for me to participate on the "daddyball" teams so I played city ball. I competed with players who were fortunate enough to play for traveling ball teams and I earned my starting spot over these teammates. Through my experiences playing in high school, college and semi professional baseball, talent, hard work, injuries and a little luck dictate the starting lineup not a players financial situation.

• Charles HigginsNovember 08, 2013 - 8:43 am

• Kevin KeeferNovember 08, 2013 - 11:04 am

Charles, I know for a fact I never coached you. I don't know you and have never heard of you. When did I coach you? In the article it describes costs and scholarship and fundraising possibilities for those that are unable to afford the academy, please don't worry about the costs. Your comment about securing roster spots at the high school, you obviously don't know Coach Ariola or his staff, the best players play. You would however increase your chances of playing on the high school team because of your increased skill level you would acquire as being part of the Academy.

• Charles HigginsNovember 08, 2013 - 1:04 pm

Kevin, by coach Ariola and staff, do you mean Bob Creely? I believe he was the one that said on several occasions "those who don't contribute to the boosters are free riders". Interesting...My point is, to say that baseball skills are the primary and/or sole determinant of making the team and playing is a fabrication.

• ScottNovember 08, 2013 - 5:23 pm

Charles, You made some very strong accusations and Kevin asked you when he coached you. If you can't answer that question accurately, then ALL of your comments lack credibility.

• A big fan of KevinNovember 09, 2013 - 6:03 pm

I'm not one to leave comments, but Kevin is a favorite of mine and my program. I have been coaching travel ball and running an academy now for 4 years and there's not a better mentor out there teaching the game as Kevin does. I know for a fact I enjoy him and so do the kids that play for him. I can't wait to play against Kevin and his academy in the upcoming years! IT"S GREAT BASEBALL!

• Not down with the Honey BadgersNovember 12, 2013 - 12:22 pm

I think that you should ask the kids who really play for Kevin how they feel about him. I can say that there are kids on his team who strongly thinks that he is a joke. I can also honestly say that my son will never play for him and because of that, I strongly believe that my son who is a talented baseball player (currently plays for a AAA team) will never get the opportunity to play at Davis High School. Just as I suspected Kevin and his associate manipulated most of the kids away from other travel teams in an attempt to set himself up in the lucrative business of travel baseball. Before you make the decision to have your kid tryout for Kevin's academy ask your self will he get better. Kevin started his team under the guise that they where going to play at the AAA level, the Badgers are still playing AA ball and are know loosing more tournaments than winning. Check the fact that they only won 1 out of 4 games in their last tournament. He now has the head coach of the Davis High School Baseball program on his board. This will be the same pay to play as always. There are good alternative Baseball clubs still left in Davis check them out you might be surprised how your child develops into an outstanding ball player.

• Chris AdeNovember 12, 2013 - 10:29 pm

My son played one full DLL season when he was 8 years old and the assistant coach was so mean my son said he'd never play baseball again. So, my son hadn't played baseball at all for three years when he first met Kevin (while Kevin was working with my son's older brother). My son asked Kevin if he could try hitting, but Kevin said "Not today, I only have time to get your brother ready for his game, but I'll throw to you tomorrow." Kevin made it fun for my son, so much so, that my son decided to sign up for DLL Fall Ball after working with Kevin for one month. He had a great experience (thanks to Steve Perez) in Fall Ball so he decided to sign up for the regular DLL season. He continued to work with Kevin and was having so much fun with baseball, he asked me if I could ask around about getting him signed up for a Travelball team. Kevin said that Ryan Royster was doing a great job with the Aggies and recommended we try them. We tried the Aggies but they said no thanks and the Diablos said they already had 17 players on their roster. So after the two rejections, Kevin started looking for Travel teams in the Sacramento area for my son to try out on, but the ones he knew turned out to be too young or too old. Then, at the District 64 tournament (2012) the Davis Grizzlies approached him to join, but after his first practice with the team, the Manager suffered a stroke and had to name one of the Dads as Manager. That turned into a really negative situation, so after the season commitment was satisfied, my son declared he was done with the Grizzlies. Kevin thought that maybe it would be a good thing to give some of the other kids in Davis an opportunity to play for a more experienced coach. So he started the Davis Badgers and held tryouts. The team consists of 5 players from the Davis Grizzlies, including the Grizzlies Manager's son, 2 players from the Diablos, including the Diablo's manager's son, 3 players from the Aggies and 1 player from the Dragons. The Badgers won their very first tournament (the 3 Aggies weren't on the team yet). If you were a parent on the Grizzlies or the Diablos you were probably not expecting that outcome. So, it's ok if the kids don't play their best at every tournament, they're kids, not robots. If the other teams play better then just tip your cap and realize that the experience of playing is the actual win. My son would not be playing baseball if it weren't for Kevin Keefer. This last year my son has progressed from, a player that was lacking in confidence at the plate (nearly an automatic out) at the bottom of the batting order, to a player that truly believes in himself and has been very productive at the plate this Summer. It's been a very rewarding experience for everyone in our family. Thank you Kevin!

• Local DavisNovember 11, 2013 - 11:46 am

My son played for Kevin and it was a bad experience all around. Not a person I would recommend teaching your children life's lessons or about baseball.

• Shiloh SorbelloNovember 12, 2013 - 9:11 pm

I've been friends with Kevin for many years, and I played for Coach Ariola many moons ago. That said, I assume we all can agree that making everyone happy as a coach (or anything else!) is impossible. I happen to really appreciate Kevin's honesty, his straight-forwardness, his baseball acumen, his family, and his sense of humor. I would be very happy to have him coach my kids. But if he's not the ideal coach for your kid, be thankful for the other local options for learning the game of baseball.

• Davis Baseball FamilyNovember 13, 2013 - 9:32 am

Davis Baseball Academy brings a local option for those interested in Baseball. An offering only available outside of our community to date. Accessibility, professional staff, documented successes and commitment are the cornerstones of this positive addition to Davis. Kevin Keefer has the proven experience and lifelong passion required to embark on building this Academy. I commend Kevin and his staff for their focus and drive to bring more learning / growing opportunities to our families and our community.

• TimDiddNovember 13, 2013 - 11:28 am

Some of these comments crack me up. Typical Davis parents thinking their kid is better than he is. Honey badger... If your kid doesn't make the varsity squad, it's because he simply is not good enough. End of story. You accusing Ariola of keeping a better kid off the team bc he didn't participate Is just reckless. Ariola is a great coach and has dedicated his life to the city of Davis and baseball without ever asking what was in it for him. As for Keefer... I wish when I was growing up in Davis we had this type of program. So he is asking for $ for your kid to play and learn? So what? Do you work for free? Don't bash a guy for following his passion. You say let the kids speak. You spoke for them lol. Keefer loves kids and loves baseball. If you're afraid of Keefer's life lessons that he might relay to your kid then I question you as a parent and your lack of influence on your own child. Furthermore honey badger you rip their record? All the more reason we need to get better as a baseball community. How do we do that? Practice and get better coaching. Unless you think all dad coaches are better. This is ridiculous. Honey badger is afraid of his son being good enough and not playing. Anyone that knows Davis knows the first problem will be the opposite. A player that has paid, but simply wasn't talented enough. Then his parents will throw a fit. We all know this all to well.

• TimDiddNovember 13, 2013 - 3:24 pm

Ms. Adrienne, Daddy coaching wasn't meant as an insult. So don't take it personal. Keefer never said anything bad about all the time and effort they put in. I think it's great. We need Dads like that in Davis, and we have plenty. Even though I've seen some of the worst coaching in my life first hand watching DLL in recent years. Coaches screaming at kids, ect. Not to mention teaching them bad baseball fundamentals. My Dad was my coach in Little League. It was great. My Dad wasn't the best coach, so he sought out professional instructors in the area to teach me. He drove me to sac twice a week for my lessons. Now you have it in your own town. STOP HATING. All Keefer is saying is that if you want people coaching your kids that are better qualified, and will get your kid better faster, then you have another option. For your kids that "just wana have fun" Little League is a better option for you. DBA is for kids and parents that want to be good at baseball. Not just play baseball. If you want to do that stick to your Little League. Can someone tell me how this is different than AAU hoops of CYSA soccer? I can't imagine Davis CYSA soccer getting slammed like this by some of you guys. It's a joke.

• Adrienne DifuntorumNovember 13, 2013 - 3:46 pm

TimDidd, I'm certainly not hating, and if you actually read what I wrote instead of being defensive, you would realize that all I want is to dispel is the notion that "daddyball" has to be inferior. This moniker has taken on such a negative connotation, which is being perpetuated in articles such as this one. It doesn't have to be that way, as there is quality coaching to be had in forms other than just club baseball. Just because someone is a dad coach, doesn't mean that they don't have higher level playing experience. Additionally my boys play travel ball right now, as we are looking for a higher level of competition for them. I never mentioned they "just wana to have fun". Since it doesn't appear that you actually read what I wrote, not surprisingly you are inferring the completely incorrect thing from it. People are entitled to their opinions, and just because they don't agree with yours doesn't mean someone is being slammed. They personally have had a bad experience. People should be able to give and receive opinions on a program before potentially shelling out a lot of money for their kids to be a part of something. I think we understand loud and clear that you are a supporter of DBA.....good for you (and for the record nowhere did I say that I'm not a supporter of this program). Others aren't, but what they have to say is important too.

• Chris AdeNovember 13, 2013 - 5:19 pm

Hi Adrienne, (and anyone else that was offended by the term daddyball) I just wanted to point out that Kevin's quote is "This town has had what people call 'daddyball,' ". You do have to read it carefully, and if you do, you'll notice that Kevin wasn't the one calling it daddyball, he was saying that OTHER people called it daddyball. He didn't say '...what I call daddyball'. And just so anyone who cares where Kevin might stand on that term, the instant the article came out, Kevin called me and said "Oh man I'm going to get flamed for this daddyball comment. I can't stand that that term, I find it offensive." And it appears Bruce is the one that brought up the term again later in the story, so I'm feeling like Bruce knew this would be a hot button term and added it to the story to generate some drama. But that's just me. For me, the term daddyball means that the dad/manager favors his own kid at prime positions to the detriment of the rest of the team. Another, is he's just a dad that wanted to manage his kids team even though he has no idea about how to coach. I don't consider you husband a daddyballer at all. He was a great baseball coach for my kid. He didn't favor either of his boys and he knew how to teach baseball to those young players. As far as Kevins 11u team is concerned, I had a parent from the other 11u team say to me "What the heck is Kevin doing with those kids? They aren't any good. They are going to get crushed. What a waste of time and money." I responded with "But what if they like to play baseball? Should they just quit playing baseball because you think they should be too embarrassed to play?" I'm thinking 'Ya right dude, how dare these less experienced kids are being taught baseball. Great attitude, let's write off a bunch of 11 year olds. Classy.' Chris

• Bruce GallaudetNovember 13, 2013 - 5:33 pm

Chris, No interest in "generating drama" with the term "daddyball." I thought it was a nicely turned phrase 25 years ago and I think it still shows that parents love coaching their kids. By the way, if there is any concern about the Davis Baseball Academy getting in the way of Little League -- reread the column: Keefer wants DBA players INVOLVED in Little League, too.

• Chris AdeNovember 13, 2013 - 6:45 pm

Bruce, That's good to hear. One thing that parents that coach their own kids might want to consider is, to ask their kid how they feel about being coached by their parent, because all kids are different, and when they reach a certain age, sometimes it isn't WHAT you are trying to teach them that is the problem, it's WHO is presenting the lesson to your kid, that will makes the lesson stick. At least that was the case with my older son. In some cases it might not be as productive as you'd think it would be to coach your own kid. I asked my younger son last year if he would be ok with me as a coach. He was all "Rrrrright dad. Pass."

• AdrienneNovember 13, 2013 - 9:54 pm

Hey Chris, Having known you for several years I certainly appreciate your perspective. Knowing that the article was going to offend some people, Kevin probably should have been proactive about dealing with it rather than being silent (and remaining so). It wasn't just the daddyball comment though, it was also the insinuation that quality coaching can only come from club teams which just isn't true. We can sit here and debate and go back and forth but in the end none of it really matters. I'm not the one who has an existing relationship with Kevin and ultimately those people that were offended are the ones that have to be ok with the article and what was said. I do want to make it clear I really think as long as there is the scholarship option through DBA this will provide the opportunity for a lot more kids, some of who wouldn't make the existing travel ball teams to get more training, which in the end is a great thing. It would be hard for anyone to make an argument against the benefit of that. You're right, 11 year olds shouldn't be written off.

• Adrienne DifuntorumNovember 13, 2013 - 11:49 am

Mr. Keefer, you don’t know me, but having boys that play baseball, I have heard your name and seen you in action. I know DBA will fill a gap in Davis and I hope it is successful for you. That being said, I am the wife of one of the “daddyballers” and while I understand the need for you to advertise your new business; doing so while degrading the coaches that volunteer their time to help the kids improve certainly isn’t the best way to go about it. Davis is a small town, the baseball community is even smaller, and at one point or another most dads have volunteered their time to coach their kids. You have likely just managed to insult a very large segment of this small group of people. These “daddyballers”, dedicate an incredible amount of time to their teams and as they aren’t paid they can keep the costs down so that everyone can afford to play. My husband spends hundreds of hours over the season, at the expense to our family, so that the kids on his team have a place to play and each and every one of them has made improvements. The cost to play on his team is a fraction of what it is on a club team, or a team that has paid coaches. They have done a very respectable job in tournament play this season, and have been competitive in every single game they’ve played. Conversely the 11u team you are getting paid to coach has lost every game they’ve played and to my knowledge most of them have been complete blow outs. I don’t bring this up to try and belittle your coaching as I know you are good at what you do, but more so to point out that your implication that “daddyball” is always inferior is wrong. “Daddyball” doesn’t need to have a negative association with it, and kids can still be on competitive teams getting “quality coaching” and beating club teams with dads who know what they are doing.

• Dan ColemanNovember 19, 2013 - 8:46 pm

Adrienne seems to both conveniently missed one point, and exemplified another. It is not Kevin’s assertion that dads who coach are evil or wasting time. He is a proponent of kids being able to play a sport and knows that not everyone steps up to coach. His assertion was that Davis lacks a unified teaching program where proper fundamentals are taught uniformly to kids wanting to play baseball. We have this with basketball, football, and soccer, but not with baseball, where instead, we have a mish mash of teams and club teams that may have very different approaches to coaching and ideas about what should be taught or is important. Her comment regarding the lack of on-field success by his 11U travel team exemplifies another of his points. Coach Keefer is more interested in developing a player’s skills than the wins and losses of a team. Developing players when they are young, and teaching them properly so that when they mature, they have the skills to compete and excel at a higher level is his priority. Coaches (and parents) with a win-at-all-costs mentality at this age who relish beating other teams that they feel inferior to should re-examine the goal of youth sports and remember that the goal is to prepare the player, and not the team.

• It Leans to the LeftNovember 13, 2013 - 3:12 pm

Kevin's son Cody is exhibit A about what is wrong with baseball in this town. I played for Kevin many years ago, and he would take batting practice time away from our team to pitch BP to his own kid (who was not on the team). From what I gather Kevin was on the coaching staff of his son's teams throughout high school and maintained a marketing campaign for his kid to ensure he received exposure to scouts and college recruiters. The result: a mediocre player that can credit a large share of his success to being the coach's son. The problem is, he is now competing against kids from the Dominican Republic that grew up dirt poor, had nothing handed to them in life, and have an insatiable hunger for success. As a corner OF in low-A ball with these stats, Cody, our exhibit A, is ordinary at best. ............................AVG .240, SLG .338, OPS .657, 4 HR, 74 SO

• mitchell navarroNovember 13, 2013 - 3:29 pm

"The result: a mediocre player that can credit a large share of his success to being the coach's son. The problem is, he is now competing against kids from the Dominican Republic that grew up dirt poor, had nothing handed to them in life, and have an insatiable hunger for success. As a corner OF in low-A ball with these stats, Cody, our exhibit A, is ordinary at best. ............................AVG .240, SLG .338, OPS .657, 4 HR, 74 SO" You should probably check out HS and college stats before you get your opinion. And check out how many people get drafted every year and how many actually make it. Cody has been one of the better players to come out of the Davis area in recent memory (with respect to eckels and turay), to call him a mediocre player that credited from being a coachs son shows your lack of baseball knowledge, and is disrespectful to him and everyone who played with him.

• mitchell navarroNovember 13, 2013 - 3:18 pm

I used to play for Coach Keefer in High School and at the JC level and believe he is a great coach. Granted he's not the typical "Dad" or other coach in that sense, however the guy knows a thing or two about baseball. I played with his son throughout my childhood and HS days and the one thing Cody never lacked was work ethic, and preparation. Which is what I think Coach Keefer can offer these players. For those who know about baseball in the area, know that the talented teams and players come from areas like elk grove, el dorado hills, bay area and other places where they have consistent travel ball teams and coaches who arent fathers, that actually know what they are doing and dont have special interests in their own child. And to accuse the HS program of being about "politics" and "money" is just absurd. The program is a consistent winner, and if your kid has enough talent then they will play, if they dont then they wont play. Its as simple as that. You could ask any former player of Ariolas and im sure they will tell you the same exact thing. Of course davis parents will always find something to complain about when it comes to their children. Anyways, Id highly recommend Coach Keefer being a former player of his, and will definitely send my little brothers to play for him!

• Lisa NavarroNovember 13, 2013 - 3:49 pm

In response to "It Leans to the Left", To claim Kevin campaigned to have Cody scouted shows how little you know about baseball. It's a pro scout's job to watch countless hours of baseball at all levels to determine who is recruitable.Politics and campaigning aren't part of their jobs. Finding the best players in the world is their job. Furthermore, anyone playing at the level he is playing at is clearly not mediocre. He is being paid to play. Your opinion is clearly that of an amateur and should be considered as such.

• DougNovember 15, 2013 - 10:46 am

DOUG PARSCAL I was the coach of the GRIZZLIES that Chris Ade wrote about My boy Adrian played for me. I taught him all I Knew about baseball and to love the game! Adrian now plays for KEVIN on the badgers.Adrian has learned a lot more than I could ever teach him. Kevin will do a great job with the DBA trust me! Relax give this man a chance.There will always be (FATHERS THAT COACH ) its the Juice Boxers that are the problem!!! With DBA Davis will be even a better place to live. I trust Kevin and so should you PLEASE STOP HATTING!!

• JackNovember 16, 2013 - 8:00 pm

Jack November 14, 2013 - 3:49 pm I have always felt that differences of opinion are an important attribute for any group and that discussing these differences will make a group stronger. Everyone has an opinion and expressing it can be good. Regarding the Davis Baseball Academy I have to ask everyone, "What is best for kids? Will this allow more kids to play baseball more often? Will it allow more than 12 Davis players to be on any age group travel ball team?" Young players need touches in games and practices in order to get better. Kevin is offering this as well as expertise in coaching and several decades of baseball experience at all levels of play. What is best for kids should be the thought. Kevin will put in his time, resources and effort to bring year round baseball to Davis. The Academy will allow players and families to be part of something that they may not otherwise have the opportunity to do. I am also so pleased to see that Davis Academy is not "poaching" Little League to do this, as noted in the article, but rather will work in parallel. Kevin has been a strong supporter of Little League and our community and I believe this will be apparent in DBA as well. As a side note, thanks always to Bruce Gallaudet who did a good job with the article; he too seems to always have the lens of what is good for kids in mind.

• Robert J.November 18, 2013 - 11:26 am

I like Kevin and I believe he knows a ton about baseball. I think the baseball academy is a great idea, and the travel ball teams too. But, I am curious as to how either support DLL. I don't see how this academy won't take players who would normally play DLL. It will make some players better, I've no doubt. But from what I've witnessed the travel teams do take away players who would normally play DLL. I'm curious to hear Kevin or the perspective of others about how travel teams/academies support DLL beyond making some kids better players.

• THE TRUTHNovember 19, 2013 - 6:45 am

I support the DBA I would like Honey Badger to tell the truth why he is against the DBA his boy was cut not because of his ability or attitude. But because of his dad HONEY BADGER ------- Mike ! HONEY BADGER was out of control and had a very bad attitude. His boy is a good ball player . The DBA needs good boys and good parents. This will be a very good thing for all.

• mike murrayNovember 19, 2013 - 5:02 pm

Go Bombers Baseball!!!!! from a Bombers Baseball Dad. hanksbombers.com

• converened davis patronNovember 20, 2013 - 4:40 pm

Kevin keefer is a bully, he put sunscreen in my sandwich and made me eat it... I then proceeded to get sick. Sinecerly one who is concerned for the safety of this town.

• someone with common senseNovember 20, 2013 - 5:00 pm

This is a joke, Davis baseball academy? Come on. The travel ball system in Davis was good all the way up till about 5 years ago. The talent and skill has always been there in Davis, reading about how davis had arguably the best pitching staff in the state 2 years ago and now have 9 plus players from that team go on and play college and professional baseball and still didn't win the section championship? I don't think the problem is the "daddyballers" I think the problem is when they get past the "daddyballers" and Keefer, didn't you start coaching the high school team when your son was in high school? Yea I think you need to review your definition of "daddyball" guy. Oh and isn't the varsity coaches son on the team? Yea good call. "Daddyball" is in the high school program. Not elsewhere. The travel ball system isn't what we should be worried about.

• former dhs baseball playerNovember 20, 2013 - 5:43 pm

I played baseball at DHS and I was not brought up in any sort of highschool feeder team. at first I was not given a fair chance to play due to conflicts with fall and summer ball, but because I was raised right and I knew I was able to work hard and prove I belonged there I was able to get playing time. I'm not saying Davis baseball is great, and there may be politics envolved,but if you work hard and play well then they will have to give you a spot if they want to win. so if you don't like the way baseball in Davis is, then go out with your son and practice with him, get in a few extra buckets to hit, catch him a few innings, we live in a nice safe town with parks so there is no reason why you would have to pay for something you don't want. but if you would rather pay someone to coach your kid then sign him up for some program

• NOW WHATNovember 21, 2013 - 9:33 am

It looks like this is a hot topic. Slow your roll THESE ARE KIDS. We all have high hopes for kids. For now lets just let theme play.Kevin will teach these kids real baseball , if your looking for hugs and cuddles maybe you should try soccer.

• DHS Baseball GradNovember 21, 2013 - 5:01 pm

As a former DHS baseball player, I can speak to the presence of politics in the program. Although the politics are there, and can make playing time and who makes the team a bit difficult to understand at times, there is no substitute for handwork and commitment to the program. If you show up, and work your ass off, coach Ariola will notice and you'll see the results. DHS is a playoff team every single year, and almost always a section title threat which speaks to the capability of the baseball players in this town to compete and win at a high level. Davis needs to stick with what works and stop letting over concerned parents dictate what happens in the athletic programs.

• WHYNovember 22, 2013 - 8:12 am

Why would you eat SUNBLOCK not the sharpest pencil in the box! i don't believe you. SLOW DOWN tell the truth leave your name.

• concerned davis patronNovember 23, 2013 - 10:49 am

Read the comment... he put it in my sandwich when I was in the field. And I don't remember anyone named "why" in the dougout so you're irrelevant. SLOW DOWN read the comment all the way through and relax buddy.

• Real baseballNovember 26, 2013 - 9:20 pm

I am very happy to see baseball being taught and played at a higher level . This town is to soft .I want my son to learn more than DLL has to offer. DLL is a great place to start and a lot of fun. But at one point if they want to play at the next level they need pro. coach's and play with and against better players.If kids don't want to play at the next level play Rec ball or join choir or the chess club . Lets just play ball ! P.S. Don't eat the sun block !!!!!

• very concerdNovember 27, 2013 - 2:34 pm

Children will lie when they don't get there way, I think that is what is going on with SUN BLOCK .He didn't get to play so he is making stuff up. Read the back of sun block it says don't swallow if swallowed call your doctor not the paper maybe a shrink will help.

News

Former caretaker convicted of murder, elder abuse

By Lauren Keene | From Page: A1, 4 Comments | Gallery

Old friend helps Brad and others find kidneys

By Dave Jones | From Page: A1 | Gallery

Chuck Rairdan joins school board race

By Jeff Hudson | From Page: A1, 1 Comment

Going green at church, school, everywhere

By Special to The Enterprise | From Page: A1 | Gallery

For the record

By Enterprise staff | From Page: A2

UCD to host Global Health Day event

By Cory Golden | From Page: A2

Ukraine insurgents reject call to quit buildings

By The Associated Press | From Page: A2, 2 Comments

Need a new best friend?

By Enterprise staff | From Page: A3 | Gallery

‘Hitchhiking’ dog looking for new home

By Lauren Keene | From Page: A3 | Gallery

Online K-12 school holds info night

By Enterprise staff | From Page: A4

Volkssporting Club plans North Davis walks

By Enterprise staff | From Page: A4

Schwenger lawn signs available

By Anne Ternus-Bellamy | From Page: A4

Volunteers needed for Grad Night

By Enterprise staff | From Page: A4

Davis grad makes rain collection a business

By Jason McAlister | From Page: A4 | Gallery

A few spots left on history tour

By Enterprise staff | From Page: A4

Chipotle fundraiser boosts Emerson tech upgrade

By Enterprise staff | From Page: A4

Event to provide nature scholarship

By Enterprise staff | From Page: A4

Students have new options on leasing front

By Enterprise staff | From Page: A5 | Gallery

Groups join for a day of service

By Special to The Enterprise | From Page: A7

NAMI backers walk in Sacramento

By Special to The Enterprise | From Page: A8

Food for the hungry

By Enterprise staff | From Page: A10

Forum

Dad makes mom look bad

By Special to The Enterprise | From Page: B5

More tax money? Answer the question

By Rich Rifkin | From Page: A6, 2 Comments

UCD IS responsible for students

By Letters to the Editor | From Page: A6, 2 Comments

Tom Meyer cartoon

By Debbie Davis | From Page: A6

In search of great ideas

By Letters to the Editor | From Page: A6, 1 Comment

Please keep the nursery open

By Letters to the Editor | From Page: A6

Early help is a great investment

By Letters to the Editor | From Page: A6

Sports

Aggies lose a slugfest in opener at Riverside

By Enterprise staff | From Page: B1

Fox coming to UCD; Riffle heads to Florida

By Bruce Gallaudet | From Page: B1

DHS’ Golston goes full-bore on the diamond

By Thomas Oide | From Page: B1 | Gallery

Devils show more life in loss to Mitty

By Enterprise staff | From Page: B1

Sharks double up Kings in Game 1

By The Associated Press | From Page: B1

DYSA roundup: Intensity has big week; 10U games dominate schedule

By Enterprise staff | From Page: B2 | Gallery

Pro baseball roundup: Susac sends Sacramento to a rare loss

By The Associated Press | From Page: B8

Sports briefs: Aggies set the academic bar high

By Enterprise staff | From Page: B8 | Gallery

Features

Arts

‘The Bloom’ paves way for Whole Earth Festival

By Enterprise staff | From Page: A11

DHS tribute to Tony Fields slated for April 25-26

By Enterprise staff | From Page: A11

UCD, city team up for Music on the Green

By Enterprise staff | From Page: A11

‘Transcendence’: A whole new level of tedium

By Derrick Bang | From Page: A11 | Gallery

Business

Ford turns its Focus to domestic market

By Ali Arsham | From Page: B3 | Gallery