Lake Tahoe is a winter wonderland with activities and events for all snow enthusiasts. Mark your calendars for the following:
* North Lake Tahoe celebrates its long winter season with SnowFest, a 10-day carnival and one of the region’s most popular annual family celebrations. SnowFest is scheduled for Friday through March 10 and will be held at a variety of venues throughout North Lake Tahoe. SnowFest begins Friday at 5 p.m. at Squaw Valley and includes opening night ceremonies, a laser show, a torchlight parade and fireworks. For more information, visit http://www.tahoesnowfestival.com.
* Tahoe Mountain Sports and the Tahoe Institute for Natural Science are sponsoring a free, guided snowshoe hike Saturday at Tahoe Meadows, which is off Highway 431 near Incline Village. The hike starts at 11 a.m.
* Tahoe Donner Downhill Resort will host a Winter Beach Party Saturday beginning at noon in Truckee. Skiers can join in some tropical fun, live music, games, as well as food and drink specials. This event is free.
* Also on Saturday, TransWorld SNOWboarding Magazine will once again host an amateur snowboarding contest at Northstar California as part of the TransWorld SNOWboarding TransAM Series. This is a fantastic spectator event.
* The largest cross-country ski race West of the Mississippi — The Great Ski Race – is slated for Sunday. Part of the region’s SnowFest celebration, the race covers 30 kilometers with 1,200 feet of uphill and 1,800 feet of downhill between Tahoe City and Truckee. The current record time is 1:07.
* The Tahoe Environmental Research Center will host a wellness presentation, titled “Top 10 Nutrition and Exercise Tips,” Tuesday at 6 p.m., on the Sierra Nevada College campus in Incline Village. Speakers from the Tahoe Center for Health and Sports Performance will discuss eating regimes, athletic goals and nutrition. Cost is a $5/person donation.
* Snowbom.com continues its Li’l Air Mountain Festivals Saturday, March 9 at Homewood Mountain Resort on the West Shore. Competitions are open to kids 12 years and younger with a $10/person registration fee the day of the event. Lil’ Air is geared towards creating a safe environment for kids to go “big” on closed-course terrain park features, designed especially for them.
* The 12th annual Gourmet Ski Tour is set for Sunday, March 10, 12:30 to 2:30 p.m., at Tahoe Cross Country in Tahoe City. This epicurean event has guests working up a healthy appetite while touring the resort’s 65 kilometers of trail and then stopping at food stations hosted by local restaurants. Tickets are $35/person and $30/person for season pass holders.
* Alpine Meadows Ski Resort, just outside of Tahoe City, is offering a For Women, By Women ski camp Monday, March 11, through Wednesday, March 13. Guests ski with the resort’s top female professionals who will inspire them to take their skiing to the next level. The camp is also offered as a single-day clinic.
— For a snapshot of upcoming special events, as well as recreational activities and the best deals on lodging, go to www.GoTahoeNorth.com.